This 25-page guide is designed to provide FCDO staff and other interested parties with information about free online courses and materials they can use to develop or refresh their humanitarian technical competencies.
This publication is a revised edition of this resource guide. The 2016 edition was developed for GSDRC as part of the DFID-funded PEAKS programme. This edition was updated in 2020 as part of the FCDO-funded Knowledge, Evidence and Learning for Development (K4D) programme
It is not an exhaustive list but provides a starting point for those working to support FCDO’s humanitarian objectives. Further resources may be added. The listing does not attempt to provide a sector by sector guide. It briefly explains what each course or resource is, what it covers, and how long it takes (where information is available). The courses and resources are mostly aimed at people with a general level of knowledge about humanitarian response or development. Most online courses require registration and can be started whenever the user wants. Inclusion in this list does not mean that courses or resources are officially endorsed by FCDO or K4D.
- Humanitarian technical competencies: overarching resources
- Planning and managing relief operations
- Humanitarian theory and architecture
- International humanitarian law and principles
- Crisis risk and resilience
- Other sources of humanitarian training, guidance, and knowledge
- Annex: Additional resources