Open data reports, videos and guides
- How to make a business case for open data (Open Data Institute)
- How to plan and budget an open data initiative (Open Data Institute)
- Open data handbook (Open Knowledge International)
- Open government data: The book (Joshua Tauberer)
- Open data policy guidelines (Sunlight Foundation)
- Guide to data protection (UK Information Commissioner’s Office)
- Going open: assessing risk – open data risk assessment tool (UK Department for Food, Environment and Rural Affairs)
- Open government data toolkit (World Bank)
- Open Data Research Network (World Wide Web Foundation and IDRC)
- School of Data
- Open Data Leaders Network (Open Data Institute)
- Video: What is open data? (Open Data Institute)
Open data beyond accountability
Economic development and the promotion of innovation are often motivators for the adoption of open data initiatives. A number of case studies illustrate these potential impacts:
- a report from McKinsey identifying a potential $3 trillion a year value in the global economy from open data (Manyika et al., 2013)
- a report by Deloitte on open data’s potential for business (Hammell, 2014)
- a report finding a potential additional 0.5% of gross domestic product (GDP) value by opening data (Lateral Economics, 2016)
- the GroenMonitor project, which is protecting crops from pest outbreaks with vegetation maps built on open satellite imagery
- a recent collaboration between public (open) and private data sources, which is helping farmers take precautions to avoid drought damage in Colombia
- Medicines for Malaria, which is showing that sharing data on drug discovery can help in disease control (Scott, 2015)
- how Thomson Reuters, Syngenta and Arup are embedding open principles into their operations to gain competitive advantage (ODI, n.d.a, n.d.b., n.d.c.)
- Hammell, R. (2014). Open data: Driving growth, ingenuity and innovation. London: Deloitte.
- Lateral Economics. (2016). Permission granted: The economic value of data assets under alternative policy regimes (Policy Paper). London: Open Data Institute.
- Manyika, J., Chui, M., Farrell, D., van Kuiken, S., Groves, P., & Almasi Doshi, E. (2013). Open data: Unlocking innovation and performance with liquid information. McKinsey.
- ODI (Open Data Institute). (n. d. a). Open enterprise case study: Thomson Reuters. London: Open Data Institute.
- ODI (Open Data Institute). (n. d. b). Open enterprise case study: Syngenta. London: Open Data Institute.
- ODI (Open Data Institute). (n. d. c). Open enterprise case study: Arup. London: Open Data Institute.
- Scott, A. (2015, September 7). Medicines for malaria: ‘Sharing data on drug discovery is key to disease control’. ODI blog.