This rapid literature review, in annotated bibliography format, collates a large amount of literature published in 2013 and 2014 (up to April 2014) on the topic of gender in fragile and conflict-affected situations. It is not a systematic or exhaustive review, but does provide a comprehensive overview of the literature available. It includes all types of available written material, including peer-reviewed articles, impact evaluations, policy papers, NGO position papers, toolkits, and UN documents.
The report covers seven themes:
- gender and justice
- women’s leadership and political participation
- women’s access to economic empowerment and opportunities
- combatting sexual and gender based violence
- women, peace and security
- responsiveness of plans and budgets to gender equality
- gender equality and women’s empowerment.